Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What's Next? GIRLS, I'm Sure


**WARNING** **WARNING**please make sure your young 'uns are AWAY from the computer when you read this post.

The cat is out of the bag. My sweet 11-year old boy came to me with tears in his eyes and asked the dreaded question.

Zack: Mom, is Santa Claus real?

Mom: (Knowing this was coming. He is 11 after all and has been asking questions leading up to this for about a year now) Why do you ask?

Zack: Well, most of my friends (drat those friends!) at school say he isn't real, and I heard it on George Lopez last night.

Mom: (thinking, "What?? George-freaking-LOPEZ ratted me out??") Zachary, he is REAL in our hearts.

I then proceeded to tell him that Santa Claus ( Saint Nicholas) was a real person, that Christmas was about giving gifts and loving our family, we celebrate Christmas as the birth of Jesus Christ, etc., etc. blah blah blah.

Then I proceeded to threaten to beat him with a stick should he ruin it for anyone else (read: Dylan).

He seemed OK with it all.

I, however, am not OK.

Shaving, girls and driving is just around the corner. I can feel it.

9 comments:

Valerie said...

11 years old and 5th grade - that's pretty good! Sad day indeed though. But nice for him to now truly understand.

And do look forward to the girls and driving - there are definitely worse things!

April said...

Isn't it a bummer when your kids start to question Santa's existence? Trust me, it's only the beginning of all kinds of "fun" yet to come! :)

Bartman said...

I have to tell mine that when they stop believing in Santa he doesn't bring them presents anymore. My little brother caught Santa leaving him a stereo when he was 16, and yelled at Santa! He got a log with his name written on it. Didn't get his stereo for two months. Oh, and we tease him incessantly about that! It's the gift that keeps on giving! So if the "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause, he lives forever in our hearts" makes you worry. Wait until he's so stuck on himself that he thinks he can boss Santa around...I'm not helping here am I. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Nicole said...

Yes, 5tg grade and 11 years old is a pretty long time, I'll admit. I am thankful for that!

Nicole said...

And yes Bart - Matt told him that when you don't believe in Santa, then NO presents. You guys are a lot alike!!

Angie said...

"George-freaking-LOPEZ ratted me out?!" haha. I cannot stop laughing. That is probably because my oldest is only 4 and it feels like I have forever to go until she stops believing...I know I know, it'll come quicker than I think:)

tishelem said...

Love that picture of Zack--soooo handsome!

Anonymous said...

Oh no!! Poor little Zack figured out Santa isn't real? How sad!!

Laura Edwards said...

He is so SMART! He was bound to figure it out someday... right? At least it was YOU that really got to tell him the truth.

Ahhh- the joys of motherhood!