Wednesday, January 28, 2009

She Ain't Pretty But She Sure Is Good

Zack is a total carnivore.

His choice for birthday dinner for the past three years running is ALWAYS meat loaf. Because of his love of the loaf, I have tried several different meat loaf recipes, all of which he loves. THIS ONE, however, is the new favorite.

**I totally think Roseanne Barr gave meatloaf a bad rap in the 80's. Don't you? It's some good eatin'.
**

Also, like cousin-Kathi-the-super-homemaker-blogger-whose-blog-you-can't-see-cause-it's-private-so-I-am-sorry-about-that, I too have noticed that all my posted recipes lately have been desserts. So I thought I would go with something different.

Not that a big 'ol loaf of cheesy meat is any healthier than dessert, but hey. I'm trying.


This is basically a cheeseburger in loaf form.

Incredibly Cheesy Meatloaf

2 lbs. ground turkey or ground beef
1 c milk
1 c Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
3/4 pound cheese (I used a mix of Medium Cheddar and Monterrey Jack), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 c ketchup, separated

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

In a bowl, mix all ingredients EXCEPT all the ketchup and the cheese. Mix only 1/2 c ketchup into the mixture, fold in cheese cubes. transfer to a 9x13 pan, form into a loaf. Top with ketchup.

Bake 1 hour, or to an internal temp of 180 degrees F.

Good stuff.

5 comments:

Ali said...

You should do a post for some cool super bowl snacks!

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVE this! Cheese and meat! YUM!

Pat said...

wow, thanks for the recipe and the song!!! ooooui ! (ok that is me singing..)

Jacqui said...

I-am-Kathi's-sister.She-does-rock!She's-super-duper-awesome.

Kathi said...

Oh, that's funny.