Thursday, February 19, 2009

One Short Day in the Emerald City...

Let me start this post by saying this: If you have never seen the musical Wicked, you must go see it. If you are a fan of musicals, or even if you are not, you will love it. Save your money, sell your car, eat beans and rice for a month, but make plans and GO SEE IT.

For the past two years I have been the choir director for a small choir in a charter high school in Fresno. My friend Rebecca is a teacher there, and she is also the accompanist for the choir. Yesterday we were fortunate enough to go on a reward trip with 20 or so of the elective students to San Francisco to see a matinee performance of the musical Wicked. I saw it for the first time in Los Angeles nearly two years ago, so this was my second time seeing it. I loved it just as much, if not more, than the first time around.

At the last minute we had three extra tickets, so Rebecca brought her daughter Olivia and Olivia's friend Ryann. I could have brought Zack, but he was out of town (drat!) so I immediately thought of my voice student Danielle. I've been teaching her for 2 years. She is a great singer, and she LOVES theatre. She was the perfect choice! She was thrilled beyond words to come with me to see the show.

Before the show we spent some time at the infamous Pier 39. This is me and Rebecca with our girls - L to R: Olivia, Ryann and Dani


Dani being goofy in one of the shops on the pier.


Rebecca lookin' HOT!


The boats on the pier. We got lucky - we'd had days of dismal rain before this trip, but the musical theatre Gods decided to give us a perfect day for our trip.


The seals, lounging on the pier. They are SO darn cute.


Dani, checking out Alcatraz. I love this photo!


Olivia, looking out at everything there is to see. Beautiful girl!


Here we are on the bus. Notice the lovely seat covers on the right, that just match the lovely shade of blue in Rebecca's eyes. We totally planned that.


Wicked!! Me (notice my Elphaba-green scarf? Nice. I was way more suble than some folks. I actually saw some ladies with witch hats on.) with my daughter for the day, Dani, outside the theatre before the show.


The kids were super well behaved, and all enjoyed it. It was a great experience for them, and I am happy that I was able to be a part of it!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yeah! (I wonder how many people are GREEN with envy. . . )

Tammi Shepherd said...

I am sooooo jealous and I plan on eating only beans so I too can someday travel to see Wicked, but for now I will just continue to sing popular at the top of my lungs and dream of actually being there. I am glad you got to go and enjoy it!

Nicole said...

Tammi - there is a company playing in Portland - you MUST go!