Monday, May 18, 2009

My Mother Taught Me Better Than This

I am a poor, poor thank-you note writer.

My mom is amazing at it. She writes thank you notes to everyone. She'll send a thank-you note for a thank-you note. She made us all sit at the kitchen table, the day after Christmas, and write thank you notes to all of our relatives for our Christmas gifts. All the while we moaned and groaned about it. (Dear _________, thank you for the _____________. I really like it. I am going to use it for ____________. Love, Nicole. Next note: Dear _____________, thank you for the __________________ ... you get the idea.)

I should have been paying closer attention, cause the minute I moved out, the note writing STOPPED. My sister Jess is great at writing thank you notes, but as far as I know, she is the only one who got the thankful gene. (Sisters, please correct me if I am wrong.) It's not that I am not thankful for all the wonderful things I receive...I am just bad at expressing it in writing, sealing it in an envelope, addressing it and putting a stamp on it.

Lately, I have gotten a few thank you notes. Two from my dearest Auntie Mace. I love her with all my heart. She sent me notes thanking ME for sending cards to her here and there, just cause I love her (I am good at random expressions of love, not really something you would consider as a 'thank-you note' in my book.)

And just this week, I have gotten two unexpected thank you notes. This silly one was a doorbell ditch from two of my voice students, Bria and Jamie:
(It says "thank you for being awesome" on the back. I have never had a note thanking me for being awesome. It feels pretty...well...awesome.)

And this one from Brooke, one of my Primary kids. Sweet and wonderful.


I love to receive them, but I need to be better at WRITING them.

My mother would be so proud.

3 comments:

Cammie said...

very very sweet!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is soooo cute! Save those for your scrapbook ;-)

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm terrible about writing thank you notes, too! My grandmother used to get so mad at me when I was a kid.

And why is Jamie crying in that picture? Did the sun steal her sunglasses?