Saturday, May 9, 2009

Playin' Hooky

OK - let me start off by saying that I usually do NOT do stuff like this. I am a stickler for the kids going to school - not missing a day, even if they are 'kinda' sick. They stay home when they are really sick, but not just with a runny nose sort of thing. And I certainly never keep them out of school for a fun day!

Until last Thursday.

My sister Ali is here visiting, so we just HAD to take advantage of this beautiful weather and take the day off. We drove to Avila Beach and spent the day frolicking in the waves. And a lovely day it was. We played on the beach, took a long walk down a long pier, ate lunch on the boardwalk and really enjoyed our day. As it turned out, a Thursday in May was a GREAT day to choose - very few people there.

Forget the boys always having perfect attendance on every report card - I am totally going to do this every year!




10 comments:

Gwen Hawkins said...

What an awesome Idea!! I think this makes you a GREAT mom!

Nicole said...

Aww thanks Gwen. I've decided I am going to do it every May and September. Wanna come?? Seriously!

Sturgmom said...

Perfect attendance is HIGHLY overrated. It will never compare to the memories you made that day! Glad you all had fun.

Cortney said...

Looks like fun!!

Rebecca said...

I'm so there! Sometimes a day with mom/brother/aunt is more educational than a day at school. Consider it a family fieldtrip.

Nicole said...

OK Rebecca - next year we all are GOING for sure!

Laura Edwards said...

HOW FUN! We need to come out and play with you guys SOON!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! And seriously - my eldest is graduating, and looking back you really don't miss much at school taking the odd "family" day off. Especially not when you consider the wonderful spontaneous family moments captured!
Great job on choosing a great priority near Mother's Day - time with your kids!

Jaden Paige said...

I remember how my Mom used to do things like that from time to time... It always felt special and because of that, we enjoyed it all the more :)

I'm glad you're doing it with your kids, too... You won't regret it!

Bethany said...

Your kids will remember this tradition for years to come! I love it :) Glad everyone had fun! :)