Monday, April 12, 2010

To Blog or Not to Blog, That is the Question.

NOOO this post is not about me quitting blogging! Something is on my mind, and I am looking for some feedback. Humor me.

Here we go - I recently ran across a blog post of someone I only sort-of know. A friend of a friend of a cousin of a friend kind of thing. She had a couple of really long blog posts where she was recounting entire conversations with her ex-husband, and basically slamming him, big time. Now I do grant that the guy seems totally slam-worthy, but still. I was cringing a bit as I read it, and not because of the content, but because it seemed completely inappropriate for the web. Private, only-tell-your-mom-and-your-best-girlfriend stuff. Eat a crate of Cadbury Creme Eggs and get over it kind of stuff.

My question here is this: Is it OK to spill your entire life on a blog? Might that come back to bite you in the future? It just doesn't seem very smart to me, but hey - I am open to opinions.

Your thoughts?

7 comments:

Janet said...

Good question. I have spilled a lot of my life, but I've kept my blogging mostly anonymous. However, I do worry that a family member or co-worker will "find me." Plus, I have thought that if I "went public" I might gain more readers from people I know. BUT, I'd then have to be very careful what I wrote, which for me, sort of defeats my purpose!

My Name is: Kristi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My Name is: Kristi said...

A blog has to have a purpose. If her purpose is "how to hate my x and the father of my kids while making sure the whole world knows it"...then she might be spot on! No seriously, I loathe my x but know that such is info I share standing on a porch stoop or where ever I choose to hang with my friends. A blog is a poor choice to share intimate sides of ones life when it WILL affect others such as her children. (did I assume there were children?)Those "come back and bite ya's" really hurt.... lol

The Holland Family said...

So funny you say that, I read one of those blogs that you speak of recently too. Wouldn't it be so weird if it were the same one? Personally, I say keep it to your self, I was a little offended at the words she used in the blog I read. EEEKKK! She must really hate the dude.

Nicole said...

Nicole H - we need to talk! That would be funny if it were the same person!

Kristi - yes there are children, and much of the conversation was ABOUT a child. I too understand the dynamics around ex-husbands, and I have TWO myself (*ahem*), and as much as I would have liked to spill back in the early divorce days, I am SO glad I was not blogging then!

Kathi said...

It's not ok. and yes it will.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I censor my blog a LOT. There are times I would LOVE to rant about things that people have done, but I don't do it because I have learned that I NEVER KNOW who's reading.

If I REALLY have something to vent, I'll usually take the topic and write about it in a much safer way. That way I can still write about it, but I don't have to worry about saying things that will haunt me. Usually.