Sunday, March 2, 2008

Some Books Just Live On and On...

I have always been a big reader - It is interesting to see my children reading books that I treasured growing up.

For the past while, Zack and I have been reading Shel Silverstein books together before he goes to bed. First, we read Falling Up, and now we are almost finished with A Light in the Attic. I absolutely adore Shel Silverstein and his sense of humor. I loved reading Falling Up, but I have found a real thrill in reading A Light in the Attic with Zack. We'll turn the page and I will see a poem that I remember well and just LOVED and it makes me laugh right out loud. I remember reading these poems over and over again. I love hearing him laugh at the same poems I was laughing at 25 years or more ago!


Last night we ran across this one, and I remember it as being one of my all-time favorites. My mom would definitely remember this one, too.

Little Abigail and the Beautiful Pony

There was a girl named Abigail
Who was taking a drive
Through the country
With her parents
When she spied a beautiful sad-eyed
Grey and white pony.
And next to it was a sign
That said,
FOR SALE--CHEAP
"Oh," said Abigail,
"May I have that pony?
May I please?"
And her parents said,
"No you may not."
And Abigail said,
"But I MUST have that pony."
And her parents said,
"Well, you can't have that pony,
But you can have a nice butter pecan
Ice cream cone when we get home."
And Abigail said,
"I don't want a butter pecan
Ice cream cone,
I WANT THAT PONY--
I MUST HAVE THAT PONY."
And her parents said,
"Be quiet and stop nagging--
You're not going to get that pony."
And Abigail began to cry and said,
"If I don't get that pony, I'll die."
And her parents said, "You won't die.
No child has ever died yet from not getting a pony."
And Abigail felt so bad
That when they got home she went to bed,
And she couldn't eat,
And she couldn't sleep,
And her heart was broken,
And she DID die--
All because of a pony
That her parents wouldn't buy.

(This is a good story
To read to your folks
When they won't buy
You something you want.)

Perfection! Shel Silverstein lives on! What books do YOU treasure?

3 comments:

Sarah Greener said...

How fun. I really wasn't a big reader when I was little, so I really don't have a favorite. But little Lawson loves it when I read to him. He will get a book out of his little toy box and crawl over to me so I can read it to him. I love it when he does that is too cute.

Amanda P. said...

love love love books! I want a ga zillion of them. I bought Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends" for sadie. Mom must have really like him?? The stories are just too funny. I can't wait until she is older and can appreciate them a bit more!! Now she just like to crumple pages :(

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Shel Silverstein!! I read all of his books when I was little. :)