Sunday, May 25, 2008

The 52 Blessings Project: Week 21 and a Birthday Shout Out to Val

My great friend Valerie is a blessing! I met her when I was 12 years old, just after my family moved to Kanab. We were friends immediately, and became "best friends" about a year later. She was the All-American girl...cheerleader, Homecoming Queen, dated the Quarterback, nice to everyone...we all loved Val and wanted to be like her. She had a strong testimony and stood up for what was right, which I always admired and appreciated.

Memories with Val: Cruising main with either The Outfield or Marie Osmond playing, meeting at the corner (we lived on the same block), walking to Frostop for fries with ranch and a coke, later working together at Frostop, crying together over stupid boys, skipping Sunday School (bad!) and going to get a coke at Stage Stop, being there for her wedding, AND the day her first son was born...many, many more...

Now, 20 years after high school graduation Val is a fantastic mom of 6 kids. (She always said she wanted 6 - it amazes me that she knew that way back when!) Valerie and I could go years without seeing each other or talking, but the minute we get together it's just like we were never apart. I feel very blessed to have a few friends in my life like that. Now that blogging has come into my life, it has been wonderful to be able to talk with Val through blogging and keep up on her goings-on. It makes me feel closer to her and appreciate her all that much more.

So - Happy Birthday Val - you are the best!

Surprisingly, I don't have very many pictures of Val and me together. Here we are, going to the Sadie Hawkins Dance our Senior year. She's with Richard Skaggs, I am with Kim Jones. Note my HUGE hair and white face, and Val's open mouth (sorry, Val!) and slicked sides of her hair. We are true 80's girls, right down to our rolled t-shirt sleeves, mini-skirts and tan legs, baby.


I lifted this photo off her blog - this is Valerie with her youngest, Jake. I love this photo!


Here she is with her hubby Damon.

Love ya, Valerie!

6 comments:

Amanda P. said...

You two are a couple of BFF's! I wish I remembered you guys together more! You guys started the tall Cooper girl with a short best friend trend :)

Valerie said...

THANKS NICOLE!!! What a great tribute to end this wonderful day! I appreciate all of your kind words! I love the relationship we've always had! Can you imagine how many pictures we would have together had there been digital cameras back in the day?! Although this seemed a lot cooler back when we were teenagers, I have to say it - I'm older than you!!! At least for a couple of days! :) You too have been a blessing in my life! Thank you! Love ya, Val

Laura Edwards said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY today! I hope all your wishes come true!

Sarah Greener said...

She sounds like such a great friend! I love especially love the 80's pic! haha that is awesome. Dylan and his little friend are so cute! Oh and I am so excited that you are starting the twilight books.....Oh they are so good. It will be interesting to see what you think about them!

Sarah Greener said...

Oh and Happy Birthday! I noticed that Amanda had a post about it being your birthday today! Yea!!

The Clevelands said...

Just thought I'd let you know that we just ate the black and blue chicken (I think that's what its called) from the meat market!!! It was so yummy! Thanks for the recommendation!
-Emily