Sunday, July 27, 2008

Reflections of an Oz Addict



The Wizard of Oz was on TV tonight. Somehow we all got caught up in watching it on TNT (with commercials) even though we have it on DVD (without commercials). Why do we do that?

Anyway, I watch this movie every couple of years for some reason...a few things struck me this time around.

  • Dylan giggled when the Wicked Witch of the West showed up and said "I like her. She does tricks."
  • The Tin Man's nose is creepy. I don't like it.
  • The Lollipop Guild guys are creepy too.
  • Why do they put a bow in the Cowardly Lion's hair? He's a boy.
  • Dorothy seems to be gasping for breath a lot.
  • I love the scene with the talking trees and the apples. Still my fav.
  • I don't like the Cowardly Lion's "King of the Forest" song. Machine gun vibrato is annoying. I remember when I was a kid thinking that that song went on FOREVER.
  • I can imitate the sing-song voice of Glinda the Good Witch really well.
  • I am even better at the Wicked Witch of the West's voice and laugh. My siblings ( and now my kids) can attest to that one.
  • I love calling my sister "Auntie Em", even though I think Auntie Em in the movie is kind of mean.
  • I've had nightmares before of the Wicked Witch riding the bike that turns into the broomstick at the beginning of the movie. Scary. Classic.
  • Over the Rainbow is still one of my favorite songs - and I love the way Judy Garland sings it.
  • Just like Dorothy, I like the Scarecrow best, too.
  • It's still true - there's no place like home.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

The Parkin's favorite Wizard of Oz line: "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too. . . ah, heh, heh, heh."

Valerie said...

We do the same thing! Watch movies on TV with commercials even though we HAVE the DVD! Strange creatures are we - I think we do this because we KNOW we will take a snack and potty break! Your thoughts on the movie were fun! Thanks for sharing!

Laura Edwards said...

We watched part of that movie on sunday, too! We came to the conclusion that the whole movie is kind of creepy.