Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tuesday Tell-All: You Can't Scare Me

In the spirit of Halloween, This week's topic is to tell about a scary experience in my life, and how I overcame it.

Scariest moment ever, by far: Dylan's first seizure, and the diagnosis to follow.

When Dylan was 5 years old (he's 7 now), he had his first seizure. Terrifying. Simply terrifying. The news to follow, after much testing, was also scary. Tuberous Sclerosis Complex. Of course, I had never heard of this. After many hours of internet research, talking with the doctor and also the family doctor (thanks, Josh), I began to understand what we were up against. A lifetime of trials. This is not something that was going to go away, so we had to face it and deal with it head-on.

In the last two years, Dylan's seizures have gotten under control. None for 6 months now. I know that this could be the calm before the storm, and I also know that it could just be calm from here on out. Either way, I am grateful to have my Heavenly Father, my wonderful eternal companion, my family, and my friends by my side every step of the way.

How did I overcome the fear? I haven't. I am still afraid every day that something could happen to him, or to Zack, but I am stronger than I was at first. I face each day with a bit more courage than the day before, and with faith that I will be sustained through whatever is to come.

4 comments:

Rachel Ann said...

Happy Tuesday! You were ahead of me on SITS roll call today, so I thought I'd pop over!

Bless you for facing your fears and leaning on the only One that can help...and what a cutie your son is!

The Gage Cage said...

That is scary! I never heard that you had a child with a physical struggle before. I'm glad things have been under control for the last six months! Hope they continue along the same peaceful path!

barrett family said...

Isnt is amazing and comforting to know that we have a Solid Rock on which to stand even DURING the storm?! Thats awesome that he has gone 6 months now! I will pray that the storm never returns for your him or your family.

Amanda P. said...

Scary stuff! I hate that Dylan and you all have to deal with that. I hope it continues to stay away!