Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesday Tell-All: Women's Day


They made me.

Topic for this week: Who has been the most influential woman in your life, and why?

Sunday was International Womens Day, which is something that has been around since 1911. Annually on 8 March, thousands of events are held throughout the world to inspire women and celebrate achievements. In some countries it's a national holiday. The tradition sees men honouring their mothers, wives, girlfriends, colleagues, etc with flowers and small gifts. So, basically a day to celebrate the awesomeness of women:).

Along with most people out there, I would have to say that my mother most influenced my life, and definitely for the better.

10 Important and Not-So-Important Things My Mother Taught Me

1. Always stand up straight - be proud that you are tall!
2. LOVE your husband (she taught me this by example - my parents are crazy for each other, and everyone knows it.)
3. Remain calm in crisis (I am still perfecting this).
4. It's OK to come undone once in a while, as long as it really is only ONCE in a while.
5. Go ahead and salt before you taste. Salt is good.
6. White shoes make your feet look big and horizontal stripes make you look wide. Wear with caution.
7. Love nature. Love the outdoors. Love camping. Love to hike. Love to fish.
8. It is possible to love salsa but hate tomatoes.
9. Give your all to your church calling, and then give a little more.
10. (I know I have said this about her before, but it SO defines her, I had to say it again) Cheer REALLY loud for all your children at their sporting events!

As I look over the list, I realize that a lot of these things come from my Grandma Pratt as well - like mother, like daughter.

At least, I certainly hope so.

4 comments:

Amanda P. said...

Awww. Good list :)

And I already talked to cousin Taylor about it at the reunion. It was a possible name back then and he said a-ok! Although I don't ever see him saying he's NOT ok with it. Oh well, he lost his chance!!!

Anonymous said...

WORD to your mother!

Valerie said...

I Love Your Mom!

Angie said...

Your mom is awesome. I love how positive she is about everything. And her strong vocal chords ARE pretty amazing;)