Friday, October 17, 2008

Flashback Friday: Movie Favorites

There are a few movies out there that sort of "define" my growing up stages...you know, when you are scrolling through the TV guide and see a movie you use to love or remember seeing at a certain time of your life, and you get all nostalgic. The movie may not necessarily be an Oscar winner, but there is just something about it that takes you back. Here are a few of those movies that get me feeling all "awwwwwww"- ish:


Clash of the Titans. I have seen this movies dozens and dozens of times. It is SO very cheesy, but I totally love it. I remember watching this when we lived in Moab - we had HBO for a little while and this was on over and over, so we watched it over and over. It is actually the only thing I ever remember watching when we lived there. Most of the time I was outside.

**20 points to whoever can remember the name of Harry Hamlin's character (no googling!)



The Secret of Nimh. I remember watching this with my younger sisters. I believe we rented it quite a few times. Cool and somewhat frightening. Not your typical cartoon - it was a little scarier than most. My kids have never seen it- I am going to have to rent it for them!



Sleeping Beauty. When I was in high school, my Dad was the Bishop and we use to have missionaries over a lot. They were unable to watch movies unless they were rated G - so we watched this again and again with the missionaries. I also remember my sister Jessica and I dancing around singing the "Once Upon a Dream" song. I am sure we both still know all the words! (Hey! We should totally act it out at the upcoming family reunion! Come on, Jess!)



Footloose. I saw this movie with many of my friends. I was 14 years old when this movie came out. I just remember thinking it was SO cool that a movie was made about people who were like ME. (Hey, I never said I was deep.) After the movie was over, I remember running down the main street, dancing away, feeling great. I still feel a little bit of that whenver I see that movie. Ahh, the simpler life...



Ferris Beuller's Day Off. Another one of those movies that definitely defined my generation. Still a classic today. I actually don't think I know ANYONE who does not like this movie. This is the first movie I can recall that they had a "tag" at the end after the credits rolled. I thought it was so clever and funny at the time. Best quotable lines ever in this movie. I have used this one: "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up" several times in my life. (Oh gimme a break. I quote Shakespeare once in a while, too.)




Dirty Dancing. I had this original movie poster over my bed. This was the first VHS movie that I actually bought with my own money. I think my brother and sisters have seen it a million times, too. I loved all the dancing, and I especially loved Patrick Swayze. "Nobody puts baby in the corner." Amen.



Singing in the Rain. I went through a total "I love Gene Kelly" phase. Still love him. He could sing, he could dance, he could act. The perfect man. Singing in the Rain was probably my favorite of all his movies. I am sure I totally annoyed all my college roomies with my incessant musical-watching.



The Breakfast Club. I am a child of the 80's. I am genetically pre-disposed to love this movie, and anything else with Molly Ringwald in it. 'Nuf said.


Ahhh, the memories! Suddenly I'm craving popcorn...

5 comments:

Kassi said...

If I am scanning the channels looking for something to watch and I see Dirty Dancing, The Breakfast Club or Footlose, it really doesn't matter what I was looking for or anything else that might be going on, I WILL sit down and watch those movies. Doesn't matter that I can quote them all word for word. :)
p.s. I love your blog!

Talynn said...

you got a couple of my favorites on there!!! :)

Coopercomics said...

--From the Weej

1. Clash of the Titans. Its Perseus, and I love the Medusa scenes, not to mention there's a good butt shot in the beginning of the movie. Calibos is a great villian- no wonder I hate scorpions.

2. The Secret of Nimh. Still a great animated movie though KelBell won't watch it again; I tried to talk her into it today, but no go. Lex and I call it "The Shreekit of Men" cuz it was a favorite of their family growing up too. aaaww :)

3. Sleeping Beauty. Maybe the fact that you girls watched it all the time is why I have mixed feelings about this one. Good, and yet sappy, songs. "Green!", "No, blue!". bleh. ;P

4. Footloose. Wow, a town where dancing is against the law!? Count me in for the rebels! hehe

5. Ferris Bueler's Day Off. Save Ferris, 'nuf said.

6. Dirty Dancing. The sisters ruined the Swayze butt shot on the tape by rewinding it so much, and Mom chucked it for that very reason, ha!

7. Singing in the Rain. I really only know that one scene, but it always makes me happy when I see/hear it.

8. The Breakfast Club. The catalyst for many high school/ coming of age/ comedy/ drama movies of which none that I know of have equaled.

Excellent list of nostalgic movies!; those are all definitely "aww" ones. btw- Savy was wonderful in the Xpress portion of the concert; I especially liked the "Newsies" medley.

Love you Sis!

Anonymous said...

The 80s were a great time for movies - Breakfast Club, St Elmo's Fire, Dirty Dancing and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.
I love being a child of the 80s.

Nicole said...

Deej, you rock! Love you, bro!